I did it



I finally finished reading Les Miserables! My goal was to get it done before the end of the year, but the last few hundred pages were so good (except for a chapter or two about the Paris sewer system) that I couldn't put it down. I have a total love/hate relationship with this book. Parts were so boring I could only make myself read a page a day, parts were so good I could read many chapters without even realizing it. The greatest book of the 19th century? Well, I actually think there's two books in one here, a boring, stuffy one and an interesting, exciting one. My question is whether it would be as good if you cut out the 600 or so boring pages? Maybe not. Anyway, it was for sure worth reading, if only for the sense of accomplishment for having finished it. And after hating the characters for a long time (I've been reading this actively since May, the longest I've ever taken to read a book), somehow, by the end, I felt myself loving them.

Now, my reward, I'm going to make my husband take me to see the Broadway musical of it as soon as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment