split pea soup



For some reason, I love cooking anything for a long time in a big pot. And, while I didn't think I liked split pea soup, I've found it can be really delicious. This time I cooked it with a bag of baby bella mushrooms instead of ham. Mmmm...



Split Pea Soup with Mushrooms

2 cartons chicken (or vegetable) broth (48 oz. each)
2 lbs split peas, sorted and rinsed
1 bag baby bella mushrooms, lightly chopped
1 c. matchstick carrots, chopped
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 c. celery, chopped
olive oil
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole Seasoning (love this on everything!)

Heat olive oil (to coat large pot) on medium heat.
Add onions, celery, and carrots and cook 10 minutes.
Add baby bellas and cook 10 minutes.
Add peas and bring to boil over high heat.
Scrape the foam off the top and discard (new tip I learned), reduce heat to low.
Cook 45 minutes or until peas are tender.
Add spices and cook for 15 more minutes.




My little pink pig timer always cracks me up...

No comments:

Post a Comment